cellcard cellcard cellcard

Chikungunya outbreak infects over 2,000 across 15 provinces

Som Kanika / Khmer Times Share:
People being treated for Chikungunya at the Poipet Referral Hospital. Koh Santepheap

The Health Ministry yesterday identified a total of 2,047 suspected cases of Chikungunya diseases covering 15 provinces in the Kingdom.

Of the suspected cases, 80 percent were reported in Banteay Meanchey, Kampong Cham, Siem Reap and Takeo provinces – with the remainder in Pailin, Oddar Meanchey, Preah Vihear, Tbuong Khmum, Stung Treng, Kampot, Pursat, Kandal, Kampong Thom, Kampot and Preach Sihanouk, a health ministry statement said.

So far, around 72 percent of the total suspected cases were confirmed to be caused by the disease, according to a National Dengue Fever Programme report.

The health ministry said that of the cases, 58 percent occurred in adults, while 30.3 percent occurred in children aged over five years and 11.7 percent in children under five years old.

Despite the rising numbers, about 90 percent of patients have fully recovered and the remaining 10 percent are still receiving treatment at public hospitals, according to the health ministry.

Health Minister Mam Bun Heng has continued his appeal to the public to eradicate mosquito breeding habitats by ensuring their surroundings are clean and there are no areas of stagnant water around or nearby the household.

The National Dengue Fever organisation has stated that at least 66.7 percent of the mosquito breeding grounds were discarded tyres.

The other breeding grounds included cement jars, containers and puddles around resident houses.

The organisation urged people to double-check their households to make sure they dispose of rubbish properly to avoid these becoming breeding grounds for mosquitoes.

As the number of the Chikungunya cases rises, Bun Heng also urged relevant institutions, local authorities and communities to eradicate mosquito breeding habitats as well as participate in the campaign against Chikungunya and dengue in the Kingdom.

Chikungunya is a viral illness transmitted by mosquitoes. Symptoms include abnormal fever, sore throat, skin rashes, severe joint pains and in some cases, convulsions.

Related Posts

Previous Article

Blue Helmet among two new COVID-19 cases

Next Article

Global post COVID-19 strategy needed for recovery, says Hun Sen