cellcard cellcard

Hotel staff in Siem Reap seek reinstatement of sacked unionists

Sen David / Khmer Times Share:
Workers at the Le Meridien Angkor Hotel in Siem Reap city protest yesterday. CENTRAL

Sixty-Nine staff from Le Meridien Angkor Hotel in Siem Reap yesterday filed a complaint to the provincial labour department, asking it to have three fired unionists reinstated.

According to the petition, the hotel employees demanded the department seeks a resolution between Le Meridien Angkor Hotel management and the three unionists and noted that they were sacked unjustly.

They are Doeum Chhaya, president of the Women’s Committee of the Le Meridien Angkor trade union, her deputy Sok Naren and union activist Kham Sreypheak.

Sreypheak said yesterday that the company fired her, Chhaya and Naren on July 10 after being accused of persuading others to protest.

She said that on Monday, the staff and hotel representatives met and negotiated but failed to reach a deal.

She said that the staff also demanded the hotel management cut down their salary to 20 percent rather than 35 percent.

“We asked the company to cut 20 percent of the salary because 35 percent is too much,” she said.

She said the hotel suspended its operation in April but reopened last month, and announced it was cutting 35 percent off staff salary from July to September.

Sabreena Jacob, General Manager of Le Meridien Angkor Hotel, said in a statement yesterday from April to June during hotel closure, the associates were working on reduced working hours, while their wages were also adjusted accordingly to the reduced hours.

“We have adjusted our operational requirements accordingly in close consultation with our hotel owner, management and the hotel’s union representative. All our actions are in accordance with local labour law requirements,” Sabreena said.

“In addition to tiered salary reduction based on employee seniority, we also introduced a voluntary resignation package in June with additional benefits as an option for associates who preferred to elect to voluntarily leave the hotel during the current business downturn,” Sabreena said.

According to the Tourism Ministry on July 31, COVID-19 has seriously affected the tourism sector, with 3,000 businesses shut down and 50,000 workers losing jobs.

Related Posts

Previous Article

Newly imported cases brings tally to 243

Next Article

Body of Cambodian shootout victim repatriated