cellcard cellcard

Over 80 percent recovery rate noted as one more patient discharged

Khann Chanvirak / Khmer Times Share:
Health Minister Mam Bun Heng conducts an inspection on the newly built COVID-19 testing laboratory in the Siem Reap Provincial Referral Hospital. Fresh News

Another COVID-19 patient was discharged from hospital yesterday, bringing the total number of recoveries to 197, the Ministry of Health said.

In a statement, the ministry identified the latest recovery as a 38-year-old woman from Boeng Keng Kang commune in the capital’s Chamkar Mon district. She was said to have been diagnosed with the virus upon her arrival from Indonesia on July 25.

She was subsequently quarantined at the Chak Angre Krom Health Centre and later underwent two simultaneous virus screens, both of which came out negative.

At present, 43 active cases remain. Among whom are two Cambodians quarantined at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital, 33 Cambodians at the Chak Angre Krom Health Centre, six Cambodians at the Kampong Speu Provincial Referral Hospital and two Americans sequestered at the US Embassy.

Health Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said yesterday that despite the patient’s recovery, doctors will continue to conduct follow-up checks to ensure that no recurrence occurs.

“Our doctors advised her to continue to protect herself against the disease and continue to be vigilant,” said Vandine.

She urged people to be vigilant, to continue practising social distancing and observing proper hygiene at all times.

“Transmission is on the rise due to travel, especially with people being careless,” Vandine said. “I call on those who are undergoing quarantine to follow the ministry guidelines and avoid close contact with other people to reduce risk of infection, as it is possible for some to test negative during the first round of screening and positive on the next round.”

“We need to anticipate the possibilities of one becoming a carrier so transmission from one person to another can be avoided,” she added.

Meanwhile, in an interview with Khmer Times, a 47-year-old man from Battambang province who recovered from the virus months ago, said: “After I tested positive for the virus, I was confined in Battambang Provincial Referral Hospital. The doctors monitored my health regularly and gave me medicine two to three times a day, depending on my condition.”

Following his recovery, he said he had to then quarantine himself at home.

“Doctors often called to ask about my health. Now, my condition has returned to normal,” said the man who tested positive for the virus upon his return from Malaysia.

Addressing the public, the Communicable Disease Control Department in Cambodia yesterday said: “We must continue observing social distancing by avoiding large gatherings, including deferring celebrations of weddings and holding of parties or dance events. We need to continue wearing masks when necessary and always maintain good hygiene.”

In related news, Health Minister Mam Bun Heng yesterday conducted a site inspection of the newly built COVID-19 screening laboratory at Siem Reap Provincial Referral Hospital, where rooms and medical equipment are currently being installed to prepare for virus screens.

Provincial Department of Health director Kros Sarath said that the new laboratory is a significant government initiative to support the country’s fight against the novel coronavirus and other infectious diseases.

“The preparation of the isolation rooms and installation of medical equipment is complete. The health personnel who will be performing the screens have received training from experts, who will continue to support staff in terms of safety regulations and procedures,” said Sarath.

The laboratory comes at a timely manner amid the high demand for speedier virus screens and well-equipped test laboratories in the Kingdom.

“Previously, Siem Reap sent samples for coronavirus testing to the Pasteur Institute in Phnom Penh,” Sarath added.

The total number of confirmed cases in the Kingdom stands at 240, comprising 159 Cambodians, 40 French, 13 Malaysians, five Britons, three Chinese, three Vietnamese, five Americans, eight Indonesians, two Canadians, one Belgian and one Indian. Most of the cases in the Kingdom are imported.

Of the recovered cases, 43 are women and 154 are men. With the new recovery, Cambodia has logged 197 recoveries or 82.08 percent recovery rate with no deaths.

Related Posts

Previous Article

Expected rise of malnutrition in Kingdom

Next Article

Provinces reel as Typhoon Sinlaku brings heavy downpour