cellcard cellcard cellcard

Gov’t continues out-of-work aid

Sen David / Khmer Times Share:
Garment workers leave their factory after work in Phnom Penh. KT/Pann Rachana

The government has announced it will continue to provide out-of-work allowances to garment, footwear and hospitality workers for the next two months, amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

In its statement on Friday, the government said it has enforced stricter measures to curb the virus in a move to help affected businesses recover.

It said some businesses had resumed, while people also began travelling to provinces to do business as usual.

“However, the hardest-hit sectors such as garment, tourism and aviation have not yet fully recovered,” the statement said.

It said the government will provide $40 in allowances per month to each suspended workers this month and September and another $30 is offered by factory owners.

Far Saly, president of the National Trade Unions Coalition, said yesterday garment workers’ livelihoods are still badly affected by the pandemic.

“So far, COVID-19 still continues to affect workers’ livings,” Saly said. “We do not know how long the government will continue to give out-of-work allowances to suspended workers.”

According to the Labour Ministry, it paid more than 8,000 suspended workers last month.

The government said it decided to introduce additional measures for the fifth round in order to continue to help restore and promote businesses.

Related Posts

Previous Article

One new C-19 case detected, 32 recoveries recorded

Next Article

Ministry warns citizens of phone scam deceiving mobile users