Authorities in Preah Sihanouk’s Stung Hav district on Wednesday issued a week’s deadline for 20 families who illegally built huts on privately-owned land to remove the structures and move out.
According to the eviction letter by the district authority, the illegally occupied plots in Keo Phos commune were inside 100 hectares of land which belonged to a businessman Chai Ching Heang.
It said the district administration had previously informed the squatters that the area where they had built 20 huts was private land, but they had ignored the advice.
“They must now demolish the huts themselves within seven days from July 22 to 28 July,” the letter said.
It said that after the deadline, the district administration would tear down the huts without taking responsibility for any material damage.
It added those who refuse to comply with the eviction notice will face legal action.
Deputy district governor Sun Pisey yesterday urged the 20 families to adhere to the notice.
“The authorities have issued this notice many times before but they refused to comply and continued building illegal houses on the private land after being instigated to do so by masterminds,” he said.
Ching Heang said yesterday that he successfully bid to buy the land through a bank auction when the original owner defaulted on a debt.
“This means that this land had a clear owner with a title land and after the auction the authorities transferred the ownership to me,” he said.