One hundred and eighty-one families affected by the Sihanoukville canal restoration project are set to receive social land concessions in Preah Sihanouk province, Sihanoukville governor Y Sok Leng said on Friday.
The land allocation follows the demolition of structures illegally built on canals, which started in January, to expand drainage channels and reduce the likelihood and impact of flooding in the city.
In a city hall notice released Friday, Mr Sok Leng listed the names of the 181 families who will benefit from the land concessions. The land concessions is located in Prey Nop district’s Bit Traing commune, with plot parameters ranging from four metres by 12 metres to seven metres by 20 metres.
“On July 22, the Sihanoukville hall will hold a land lottery to divide the land among the families,” he said,
He also adding that authority invited those family representatives to come to the city hall and provide proof of identification before the draw.
Prime Minister Hun Sen last year said the government spent approximately $170 million to tackle waste disposal problems in the coastal town. He said China also donated $600 million to the city for the same purpose.
Fifty-year-old Sorn Phally whose house was among those demolished in February expressed joy after having found her name on the list.
“When the authorities demolished my house, I did not receive any compensation. In fact, I didn’t think I’d receive any from the city hall,” she said.
“When I saw my name, I cried. I was surprised to be selected as one of the residents who will benefit from the social land concession” she said. “I have no house of my own.
I have been renting a house for nearly five months since the demolition,” said Ms Phally, as she guaranteed her and other residents’ attendance at the upcoming land lottery.
“We do not know where the land is nor any other details about the area. We are just happy to be given a piece of land that we could claim as ours and build our houses on legally,” she added.