cellcard cellcard

Stalls on Sihanoukville beach dismantled

Sen David / Khmer Times Share:
Authorities removing stalls that encroached on the beach over the weekend. Facebook

Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall removed 12 illegal stalls lining up the coast of Lomhe Kay beach in Sihanoukville’s Bei commune over the weekend in an effort to maintain the area’s beauty and tourism potential.

The operation came a month after the provincial administration ordered vendors to dismantle the stalls which encroach on the beach. Sihanoukville governor Y Sok Leang said that over the weekend, 116 officials went down to the beach to facilitate the dismantling of the stalls.

Eleven of the stall owners agreed to move themselves to avoid unnecessary damage to their properties, said Mr Sok Leang.

“Though the owners agreed to move voluntarily, they still left waste and structures that encroach on the public beach,” he said, adding authorities have cleaned nearly 80 percent of the beach.

Provincial governor Kuoch Chamroeun said in a statement last month some vendors illegally erected stalls to run food businesses along the Lomhe Kay beach – a move which he said has polluted the area and marred its beauty.

Sihanoukville officials in January dismantled 62 stalls along O’tres beach after an eviction notice was issued a month before to the stall owners.

During a press conference at the Office of the Council of Ministers on June 9, Mr Chamroeun said his authorities have marked more than nine kilometres of public beaches designated for local and international tourists.

Mr Chamroeun said: “Now, tourists can visit public beaches freely. There are no longer fences surrounding them nor are any areas occupied by someone else.”

Chan Samuang, a tourist who had just come back from visiting Lomhe Kay beach with his family, attested to the cleanliness of its coast.

“The beach is clean, making it more attractive for visitation among tourists,” he said, adding tourists are welcome to join clean-up drives around the area.

Related Posts

Previous Article

Kong Raiya sentenced to two years

Next Article

Endangered banteng still dying from illegal trapping and hunting