NEW DELHI (Xinhua) – The number of COVID-19 cases surpassed the 200,000 mark, reaching 207,615, even as the death toll reached 5,815 in India on Wednesday, said the latest data issued by the federal health ministry.
As many as 217 new deaths and 8,909 fresh cases were reported in the past 24 hours, added the ministry’s data. This is the highest single-day spike in terms of new COVID-19 cases in the country.
“As on 8:00 am (local time) Wednesday, 5,815 deaths related to novel Coronavirus have been recorded in the country,” a ministry.statement said.
On Tuesday morning the number of COVID-19 cases in the country was 198,706, and the death toll 5,598.
According to ministry officials, so far 100,303 recoveries people have been discharged from hospitals after showing improvement.
“The number of active cases in the country right now is 101,497,” the statement said..
The 5th phase of nationwide lockdown came into force from Monday. This phase marks several relaxations and reopening in a phased manner.
On March 25 India had announced a nationwide lockdown to contain the spread of COVID-19 and break the chain of infection.
South Korea reported 49 more cases of the COVID-19 compared to 24 hours ago as of 0:00 am Wednesday local time, raising the total number of infections to 11,590.
The daily caseload stayed above 30 for three straight days due to small cluster infections from religious gatherings in the metropolitan area.
Of the new cases, three were imported from overseas, lifting the combined figure to 1,269.
One more death was confirmed, leaving the death toll at 273. The total fatality rate stood at 2.36 percent.
A total of 21 more patients were discharged from quarantine after making full recovery, pulling up the combined number to 10,467. The total recovery rate was 90.3 percent.
Meanwhile, Chinese health authority said Wednesday that no new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported on the Chinese mainland on Tuesday.
One imported case was reported in Guangdong Province on the mainland, the National Health Commission said in its daily report Wednesday.
No deaths related to the disease were reported, according to the commission.
One new suspected case, which was imported from overseas, was reported in Shanghai Tuesday.
On Tuesday, one person was discharged from hospital after recovery, while the number of severe cases declined by one to two.
Statistics after a latest review and revision showed that as of Tuesday, the overall confirmed cases on the mainland had reached 83,021, including 73 patients who were still being treated, and 78,314 people who had been discharged after recovery.
Altogether 4,634 people had died of the disease, the commission said.
By Tuesday, the mainland had reported a total of 1,762 imported cases. Of the cases, 1,699 had been discharged from hospitals after recovery, and 63 remained hospitalized, no in severe conditions. No deaths from the imported cases had been reported.
The commission said three people were suspected of being infected with the virus, all were imported from overseas.
By Tuesday, 1,093 confirmed cases including four deaths had been reported in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR), 45 confirmed cases in the Macao SAR, and 443 in Taiwan including seven deaths.
A total of 1,038 patients in Hong Kong, 45 in Macao, and 427 in Taiwan had been discharged from hospitals after recovery.