The Labour Ministry said today it will source funds to pay compensation wages to former staff of The Great Duke Phnom Penh hotel who were laid off.
The workers held another of several protests over unpaid wages outside the hotel building today.
Ministry spokesman Heng Sour went to meet them an assured them the ministry would find a solution for them by at least next week and asked them to end the protest.
He said that the ministry will compile a list of their names and determine how much each should be paid based in line with a decision by Arbitration Council which had ordered the owners to pay compensation to the staff.
“The ministry is sourcing for money to pay all former staff of Great Duke upfront and work to recover the amount from the hotel owner,” Mr Sour said. “Please have confidence in the ministry.”
The 152 former staff have stated protests and blocked the road in front of the hotel in Phnom Penh’s Boeng Keng Kang district several times to demand compensation wages after the company announced it was shutting down at the end of last year.
The management announced that the hotel would close down for economic reasons effective December 31 2019.
- Tags: Great Duke Hotel