ana-air canadia-bank Silk-air nissan acleda cab-bank

Court questions woman over her alleged abuse

Sun Mesa / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
Archive. CHOR

Banteay Meanchey provincial court yesterday questioned a woman over a complaint that she had been abused, tortured and subjected to extortion while working as a card dealer at a casino in Thailand in 2013.

Her lawyer Sam Tithseyha yesterday identified his client as Pat Thida, 39, from Mongkul Borei district’s  Russei Krork commune.

He said Ms Thida was confined in a room at the casino in Bangkok by the Thai owner and three of his accomplices from November 28 till December 16, 2013 when she was rescued during a police raid.

He said Ms Thida had been working in the casino as a card dealer for eight months and the owner accused her of conspiring with customers to let them win at poker games which caused the casino to lose money.

“She was detained for 20 days and beaten by the owner and his three accomplices. On one occasion they beat her so badly that she lost consciousness,” Mr Tithseyha noted. “They then undressed her and took pictures of her in the nude before sharing these with their friends.”

He said the casino owner told her to pay more than $45,000 to secure her freedom. Even after she paid it, they still detained her.

Mr Tithseyha noted that Ms Thida phoned her family in Cambodia frequently. They become worried when they could not contact her. They then alerted a local NGO and the Cambodian embassy in Bangkok.

The embassy in turn contacted the Thai police who conducted a raid with embassy officials and rescued Ms Thida from the casino room on December 16, 2013.

Mr Tithseyha said after she was freed his client filed a complaint with the Cambodian embassy in Thailand and Banteay Meanchey court in December 2013.

He said in January 2014, she was called to the Cambodian Embassy in Thailand for questioning and to date her complaint has not been addressed.

Mr Tithseyha said Ms Thida is seeking the return of more than $45,000 which the men took from her and also $320,000 in compensation for the ordeal she went through.

Reached by phone yesterday, Ms Thida said that the court had not processed her case since she filed her complaint in 2013.

“Today is my second time that I went to the court since my complaint in 2013,”she said. “I want justice now because I have been waiting for seven years.”


Related Posts

Previous Article

Defence Minister in Turkey for security talks

Next Article

At least 40 killed in road crashes during Lunar New Year festival