Municipal fire department officials are investigating to find the source of a fire that engulfed a wood-processing workshop and some surrounding buildings Saturday afternoon in Sen Sok district.
According to the Interior Ministry’s fire department, the blaze engulfed the workshop, a wooden house and 19 rented rooms, but no one was injured.
It said the fire occurred at about 4.35pm inside the workshop, an establishment owned by 33-year-old Cheng Lyheng.
Colonel Prom Yorn, chief of the municipal fire department, yesterday said the fire was only put out at about 1am on Sunday and it took 40 firetrucks.
Col Yorn said the municipal fire department is now looking to identify what started the fire in the first place.
“We are looking to find the reason why the fire started at the scene,” he said. “We do not yet know it.”
“So far this year, there have been four fire cases in Phnom Penh,” Col Yorn added. “I want to call on every resident in the capital to pay attention and be careful when around electricity, candles and incense.”
Meanwhile, fire yesterday morning burned down a supplies container in a brick-making facility in Chbar Ampov district’s Veal Sboy commune.
The municipal fire department said it has yet identified what caused it.
It said no one was injured and the flames did not spread, but the firefighters used eight firetrucks to put out the fire at 11am.