Japanese killers will not appeal guilty verdict

Khy Sovuthy / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
Police escort the two Japanese to court for trial in September. KT/Chor Sokunthea

Siem Reap city, Siem Reap province – Two Japanese nationals convicted of killing a taxi driver here in Puok district earlier this year after stealing his vehicle will not appeal their jail temrs.

On October 3, Ishida Reimon and Nakakuki Ryuji, both 24, were found guilty of premeditated murder over the murder of 41-year-old Hoem Chan, who had his throat slashed from behind.

Mr Nakakuki was sentenced to 13 years in prison, while Mr Ishida was given 10 years. The court also ordered them to pay about $25,000 to Sok Chanroeun, the victim’s wife.

Theng Chamroeun, their lawyer, yesterday said that he met his clients last week and they told him that they did not wish to file appeals.

“My clients decided to not appeal because they accept the court’s decision,” he said.

Ms Chanroeun yesterday said she also decided not to appeal after consulting relatives, noting that it would be too time consuming.

“I decided to not appeal because there will be one to run my grocery business if I go to Phnom Penh to attend the hearing,” she said. “It will also take me a lot of time to travel to and from the court.”

“I have decided to accept the provincial court’s decision and the compensation,” she added.

Ms Chanroeun noted that her children go to school and she has no one else to help her sell her groceries.

“After Pchum Ben, my small business has not been good like in the past,” she said, adding that she could not earn much to support her family.

Ms Chanroeun noted that the compensation amount set by the court was too little and the family could not survive on it for very long.

Yin Srang, court spokesman, yesterday said that up till now, no party had come forward to file appeals in the case.

“If all parties, including the convicts, victim’s wife, and prosecutor do not appeal within 30 days from the date of the court verdict, it will come into effect,” he noted.

Mr Srang added that he does not know whether the prosecutor will decide to file an appeal.

Chuon Sok Panha, the deputy prosecutor who took charge of the case, could not be reached for comment, but said after the verdict was delivered on October 3 that he agreed with the court’s decision.

Share and Like this post

Related Posts

Previous Article

Governor ramps up Kbal Chhay protection

Next Article

Two charged with raping mentally ill girl