General Immigration Department police, in collaboration with Sen Sok district police in Phnom Penh, on Monday arrested 105 Chinese nationals suspected of running a Voice over Protocol Internet scam during a raid on Suntown Commercial Building.
In a National Police report yesterday, Lieutenant General Chea Chetra, municipal police compliance procedure department chief, said the raid was carried out in accordance with a warrant from the Phnom Penh Municipal Court prosecutor.
“Police received a warrant issued by Phnom Penh municipal court prosecutor Seng Heang to conduct the raid and arrest the suspects,” the report noted.
It said that during the raid at about 5.10pm on Monday, police arrested the 105 Chinese nationals, including ten women, who are suspected to have been operating a VoIP scam in Suntown Commercial Building in Sen Sok district’s O’Bek Ka’am commune.
The report noted that after the arrests, police seized 191 smartphones, four laptops, two IPads, two cameras, 47 passports, 95 monitors and a SUV.
General Keo Vanthorn, GID spokesman, yesterday said the investigation into the VoIP scam started a few days ago.
He noted that after monitoring the Chinese nationals’ activities, police obtained the court warrant and arrested the suspects.
“The suspects have been sent to the investigation department for further questioning,” Gen Vanthorn said.
In another raid, Interior Ministry Anti-cybercrime police, in cooperation with Chinese police, yesterday arrested over a hundred Chinese nationals suspected of operating a VoIP scam in the capital’s Tuol Kork district.
Lieutenant General Chea Pov, Anti-Cybercrime Department director, said the raid began at about 8am and ended at about 6pm.
He said the Chinese nationals were arrested at a nine-floor condominium, which did not carry any name in the district’s Depot market commune.
“We are still working on the case,” Lt Gen Pov said. “I cannot confirm the number who have been arrested yet.
However Fresh News in a video aired yesterday, said police arrested 144 Chinese nationals operating the VoIP scam from the condo.
It said police seized dozens of computers, smartphones, and landlines used for operating the scam.
It added that the group had rented the whole condominium for a year and paid a total of $25,000 in monthly rentals.
Last month, the Interior Ministry’s General Immigration Department deported 150 Chinese nationals who were caught operating VoIP scams in Preah Sihanouk and Kampong Speu provinces back to China.
On August 18, Prime Minister Hun Sen issued a directive banning all online and arcade gambling in the Kingdom in a bid to safeguard security and public order.
Brigadier General Ath Bony, deputy director of the GID’s administrative department on Monday noted that more Chinese nationals were leaving the Kingdom compared to those arriving since the ban was enforced last month.
From August 18 until September 7, 140,000 departures of Chinese nationals were recorded. During the same period there were 130,000 Chinese national arrivals.
“Since the government banned online gambling, there are more Chinese [nationals] leaving the Kingdom than coming,” Brig Gen Bony said. “It does not mean all of them are going to leave.”