Myanmar eases Net shutdown in two states

Reuters / No Comments Share:
(Xinhua/U Aung)

YANGON (Reuters) – Myanmar has partially lifted a months-long internet shutdown in two western states where government troops are battling ethnic insurgents, a leading telecoms operator said on Sunday, amid peace talks seeking to end the fighting.

Norwegian mobile operator Telenor Group said the transport and communications ministry had lifted the block, in place since June 21, in five townships in Rakhine and Chin states at midnight.

Officials cited a “restoration of peace and stability” in the areas, Telenor said in a statement.

“Freedom of expression through access to telecoms services should be maintained for humanitarian purposes, especially during times of conflict,” it added.

Rakhine state drew global attention after about 730,000 Rohingya Muslims fled to neighbouring Bangladesh in 2017, following a military crackdown in response to militant attacks.

UN investigators have called for senior military officers to be prosecuted over allegations of mass killings, gang rapes and arson. The military denies widespread wrongdoing.

More recently, civilians have been caught in clashes between the military and the Abakan Army, an insurgent group that recruits from the mainly Buddhist ethnic Rakhine population in its fight for greater autonomy for the state.

Since November, the fighting has displaced tens of thousands of people across a larger part of central and northern Rakhine and part of neighbouring Chin, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs says.

Much of the region is off-limits to journalists and most humanitarian agencies.

Tun Aung Kyaw, a secretary of Rakhine’s biggest political party, the Arakan National Party, said the internet shutdown had been lifted in the four Rakhine townships of Buthidaung, Maungdaw, Rathedaung, and Myebon, and one in Chin state.

The fighting is the fiercest in the four Rakhine townships where the internet remains blocked, which are Ponnagyun, Mrauk-U, Kyuakdaw and Minbya, he told Reuters by telephone.

Share and Like this post

Related Posts

Previous Article

Conte expects to finalise talks over new government by tomorrow

Next Article

Hezbollah missiles target Israeli army base