ana-air canadia-bank Silk-air nissan acleda cab-bank

Workers poisoned after consuming wild mushrooms

Pech Sotheary / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
maxpixel/CC0

Nearly 20 workers at a rubber plantation in Siem Reap province were sent to hospital after consuming wild mushrooms foraged nearby their workplace.

Colonel Sun Eng, chief of Svay Loeu district police, yesterday said the incident happened Saturday evening in Boeng Mealea commune’s Torb Chey village.

Col Eng said 19 workers were poisoned after they cooked and consumed the mushrooms.

“Before the incident, the workers gathered many kinds of mushrooms in the forest near the plantation to cook them,” he said. “After consuming, they suddenly had symptoms of itching, diarrhoea and vomiting.”

Col Eng said the workers were then sent to a medical centre in Chi Kraeng district’s Khvav commune.

He noted that consuming wild mushrooms and unknown species of plants is dangerous and could lead to death.

In May, one person died in a hospital in Preah Sihanouk province after consuming wild mushrooms. The person had symptoms of severe poisoning.

In April, the Health Ministry issued a statement urging residents to think twice and consider hygiene before consuming food.

Health Minister Mam Bun Heng said in the statement that people should avoid eating unhygienic food and consuming rice wine produced without standards.

“I would like to encourage all people to take part in implementing the measures – be careful and maintain hygiene,” Mr Bun Heng said. “Protect yourselves and your families to avoid problems.”

According to the ministry, in the first three months of this year, six food poisoning cases resulted in 245 people becoming ill, including two who died.

Last year, 852 people fell ill in 19 separate food poisoning cases, including 13 who died; 206 people were also poisoned after drinking rice wine, including 12 who died.

Related Posts

Previous Article

Mekong river floods hit Tboung Khmum

Next Article

Push for mangrove restoration in Kampot