Cambodia, Laos begin troop withdrawal from disputed area

Ben Sokhean / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
Lieutenant General Srey Doek, right, walks with Major General Soukai Phommasone from Laos. Fresh News

Cambodia and Laos have begun to withdraw troops from disputed territory in Preah Vihear province after senior military officials from both sides conducted negotiations.

Senior military officers Lieutenant General Srey Doek and Major General Duang Chan recently negotiated with Major General Soukai Phommasone, Laos’ Champassak provincial military commander.

Sou Serey, deputy provincial governor, on Saturday said both sides are now withdrawing troops peacefully, but there is misinformation spreading online.

“Troops from both sides are withdrawing,” Mr Serey said. “There was a misunderstanding. There is no confrontation.”

“The situation is becoming normal. We are like brothers – our people cross the Lao border and Lao people also come to us,” Mr Serey said. “We have annual meetings between both provinces to help us understand each other.”

Anousine Khattiyalath, deputy head of the National Boundary Committee at the Lao Ministry of Foreign Affairs, was quoted by the Laotian Times last week saying: “[We] would like to officially state that the area in question is stable, and our two countries are not engaged in any kind of stand-off. There is no tension, and there are no major problems.”

“There have been no armed clashes and there have been no other incidents,” Mr Anousine added. “In regard to the resolution of problems at the border between Laos and Cambodia, both parties are holding to a peaceful approach, by means of negotiation, to ensure that the border area between both countries can be a peaceful, friendly, and cooperative border.”

The Mom Bei area in the province’s Chhep district is disputed by Laos. In August, Lao troops encroached the disputed territory.

The withdrawal of troops came after Prime Minister Hun Sen and Lao’s Prime Minister Thongloun Sisoulith spoke by phone to ease the border tension.

Major General Mao Phalla, spokesman for the Royal Cambodian Army, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Kin Phea, director-general of the International Relations Institute at the Royal Academy of Cambodia, yesterday said both nations are not aiming for an armed confrontation.

“Peaceful negotiation is necessary and is very important to solve the border issue,” Mr Phea said. “We have no necessity to conduct war. Withdrawal of troops is the best thing for both neighbouring countries.”

“We are like brothers and we are long-term good neighbours,” he added.

Share and Like this post

Related Posts

Previous Article

Bar Association to screen lawyers over corrupt practices

Next Article

KGC decked out for Big Enterprise CSR Award