Company pleads for extension to return Sihanoukville trash

Taing Vida / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
The 83 rubbish-filled containers found in Sihanoukville. MOE

The General Department of Customs and Excise today said today that Chungyuen Plastic Manufacturers, the culprit behind the import of 83 rubbish-filled containers has returned 14 containers back to their origins and has asked to extend the deadline for the return if the remaining containers.

On July 20, Chungyuen Plastic was identified as the company that was responsible for the import of the 83 containers, which were found by Sihanoukville Autonomous Port authorities.

The containers contained 1,600 tonnes of plastic rubbish and officials said the containers came from the United States and Canada.

In an announcement dated August 23, GDCE said the company had already paid the nearly $250,000 fine and shipped back 14 rubbish-filled containers by August 20, noting that the company was set to return all containers before August 24.

However, it said due to weather issues, which disrupted ships on the waterway and congestion issues, the company requested to extend the deadline for sending back the remaining 69 containers.

According to GDCE, Chungyuen Company said it has scheduled to return all the remaining containers by October 25, 2019.

Kun Nhim, director-general of the General Department of Customs and Excise told Khmer Times that the Finance and Economic Ministry has now approved the request to extend the deadline.

“We agreed to the request. We can understand the issues the company has raised,” he said. “To send back all these rubbish-filled containers, they need time.”

Share and Like this post

Related Posts

Previous Article

VIDEO: Massive fire engulfs Phnom Penh factory

Next Article

Ministry highlights outcome of Cambodia-Viet Nam Joint Commission session