The Interior Ministry on Friday hit out at a Voice of America programme in which the Kingdom was accused of not prosecuting Chinese nationals who committed crimes but instead deports them to their home country to face action.
General Khieu Sopheak, ministry spokesman, issued a press release on Friday to deny the VOA allegation, broadcast on Thursday, and said that some Chinese criminals were arrested and deported based on warrants from China under a Memorandum of Understanding signed with that country.
“Suspects who were arrested and deported from Cambodia are those for whom the Chinese authorities have issued warrants of arrest,” he said. “They are sent back to face prosecution for crimes against Chinese citizens and this does not mean that we have released them.”
Gen Sopheak noted that Chinese nationals who are deported are blacklisted from entering Cambodia again.
He said that’s from 2014 until last month, Cambodian authorities have deported 2,700 Chinese nationals and their numbers would have strained the national budget if they were detained in the Kingdom.
The VOA office in Phnom Penh could not be reached for comment yesterday.
Dy Thehoya, a program officer at Central, on Thursday made the allegation during an interview with VOA.
He alleged that Chinese nationals were using the Kingdom to commit crimes because of its weak law enforcement.