Two men arrested for allegedly stealing $2.4 million

Buth Reaksmey Kongkea / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
Police detain one of the accused and document cash seized. CPC News

The Interior Ministry Penal Police Department, in cooperation with Phnom Penh police, last week arrested a military officer and another man suspected of stealing more than $2 million from an owner of a Wing Transfer Shop in Chamkar Mon district.

Major Nuon Leang, a police officer working with the Penal Police Department, identified the two suspects as Captain Eam Sam On, 37, a military officer working with the Bodyguard Department at the Defence Ministry, and Sok Sarith, 35.

Maj Leang said Mr Sarith was arrested in his rental house in Chamkar Mon district at about 10am on Thursday, while Mr Sam On was arrested at about 5am on Friday in his house in Sen Sok district.

Maj Leang noted that about 2am on Tuesday, the two suspects and two other men, who are still at large, forced open a Wing Transfer shop in Chamkar Mon district’s Tuol Tumpoung I commune and stole $2.4 million.

Maj Leang said the owners of the shop woke up at about 5.30am, saw that the money was missing and alerted district police.

He added that police inspected the shop’s CCTV footage, identified the suspects and searched to arrest them.

“Police investigation led to the arrest of [Mr Sarith] in his rental house in Chamkar Mon district on Thursday,” he said. “Police seized more than $100,000 of the money that was stolen.”

Mr Leang noted that Mr Sarith’s confession led to the arrest of Mr Sam On the following day.

“Mr Sam On was arrested after police raided his house in Phnom Penh Thmey commune on Friday,” he said. “Police seized $250,000 of the money that was stolen, one pistol, and other related materials from him.”

Maj Leang said police are now searching to arrest other suspects who are still at large in order to punish them in accordance with the law.

Colonel Tey Visal, deputy chief of the municipal general crimes department, yesterday confirmed that both men are accused of thefts with aggravating circumstances, with a possible punishment of between five and ten years each in prison.

Colonel Visal added that both men are still being detained for further investigation at the municipal general penal department in Phnom Penh.

They will be sent to Phnom Penh Municipal Court for questioning today.

Share and Like this post

Related Posts

Previous Article

Journalists nabbed over land dispute

Next Article

Sea creature fossils found in Banteay Meanchey