Phay Siphan admits ‘weakness’ in preventing unwanted waste imports

Ben Sokhean / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
Workers open one of the 83 containers found in Sihanoukville. MOE

Government spokesman Phay Siphan yesterday called the failure to prevent the arrival of 83 rubbish-filled containers at the Sihanoukville Autonomous Port last week a “weakness” that has to be addressed.

According to officials, the 83 containers came from the United States and Canada.

Kun Nhim, director-general of the General Department of Customs and Excise, said the containers arrived over a period of time beginning in October last year.

Mr Siphan yesterday said during a press conference that Cambodia lacks the equipment to scan containers.

“We monitored and opened the containers,” he said. “This is a new issue our country has met – we are still weak on the issue and we acknowledge this.”

“However, we will increase our capacity and work on this because there are a lot of tricks,” Mr Siphan said. “We already know the original sources of the rubbish – the US and Canada. Our next step is to send them back.”

Mr Siphan said the banned plastic rubbish were labelled under unspecified goods.

“It is a weakness because we did not have a machine to correctly scan [containers],” he said.

Environment Ministry spokesman Neth Pheaktra said in order to prevent the import of unwanted rubbish in the Kingdom, authorities will strengthen law enforcement.

Rubbish from the US and Canada

Government spokesman Phay Siphan said in a press conference on Thursday that the 83 rubbish-filled containers found at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port were shipped from the US and Canada.

Posted by Khmer Times on Thursday, 18 July 2019

Share and Like this post

Related Posts

Previous Article

Ministry dismisses ‘blacklisted’ media report

Next Article

Two more companies suspected of illegal logging in Mondulkiri