Last collapse victim home

Ben Sokhean / Khmer Times No Comments Share:

The body of the last victim to be recovered from the site of the collapsed seven-storey building in Sihanoukville was yesterday returned to the family for a funeral, a statement from the team tasked with rescue work said.

It identified the victim as construction worker Sath Bunthy, 36, from Sturng Treng province’s Siem Pang district whose family came to claim the body at the provincial referral hospital.

The statement also said that as of yesterday, all 26 others injured during the collapse have left the hospital after treatment.

The Chinese-owned building collapsed while under construction at about 4am on Saturday, killing 28 workers and burying alive the 26, the last of whom was rescued nearly 60 hours later.

“Our team focused on rescuing those who were alive after which we examined the bodies of those who died and made arrangements for their families to collect them for funerals,” the statement added.

According to Prime Minister Hun Sen, people have donated $2,512,821 so far for the victims. Tycoon, Okhna Kith Meng was among the first to contribute with $100,000.00.

Mr Hun Sen said the donations to each dead victim’s families will be now be increased to more than $90,000 from $67,800.

“We will stop to accept donations, and I take the opportunity express my deepest thanks to donors,” Mr Hun Sen said.

In a related development, Yun Min, the former governor of Preah Sihanouk province who resigned following collapse, was yesterday promoted from Lieutenant General to General and is now a secretary of state at the Defence Ministry.

Share and Like this post

Related Posts

Previous Article

Sovann becomes governor

Next Article

Australia discusses development programmes