ana-air canadia-bank Silk-air nissan acleda cab-bank

Man accused of raping stepdaughter

Buth Reaksmey Kongkea / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
The accused. Kampuchea Thmey

Ratanakkiri Provincial Court yesterday charged and detained a 32-year-old man for raping his 10-year-old stepdaughter in Lumchor commune.

Colonel Keo Davy, chief of the provincial Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Department, identified the accused as Yorn Rath, a 32-year-old farmer living in Lumchor commune in Ratanakkiri province’s O’Yadav district.

Col Davy said that the accused was charged with rape with aggravating circumstances and faces up to 15 years in jail if convicted.

She noted that the accused was arrested on Sunday by the provincial anti-human trafficking and juvenile protection police after he raped his 10-year-old stepdaughter two times, once this year and another time in 2018. Mr Rath is currently in prison pending the trial, she added.

Captain Muon Thy, a penal police officer working with O’Yadav district police, said that the accused was a widower and lived together with a 37-year-old widow who has two children with her previous husband, a 10-year-old daughter and a 12-year-old son. He added that they married and lived together in Lumchor commune.

Cap Thy said that in December last year, the accused raped the victim while his wife was not home.

“According to the victim, after the accused raped her, he told her not to tell her mother or anyone else about the rape,” Cap Thy said. “He threatened to kill her by slashing her throat if she told anyone about the rape.”

“After the rape, the victim did not dare to tell her mother because she was scared she would be killed,” he added.

Cap Thy noted that in May, the accused raped her again when they were home alone. After the rape, the accused again threatened to kill her she if she told anyone about the rape, he added.

Cap Thy said that at about 10pm on Thursday, the accused attempted to rape the victim again when she was sleeping in the same room with her grandmother.

“When he held down the victim, she shouted,” he said. “The victim shouted and woke the others, and he fled the house that night.”

Cap Thy said that the next morning, the victim’s grandmother filed a complaint against the accused to the commune police, leading to his arrest on Sunday.

He added that during police interrogation, the accused admitted committing the offence.

Related Posts

Previous Article

Convicted thieves to stay in jail for six years

Next Article

Working group created to test officers for drug use