Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday began questioning 17 suspects who were arrested during an anti-drug raid at the Luxurious nightclub on Saturday.
The 17, including a Chinese national, five Vietnamese, and 11 Cambodians, worked in the club as managers, accountants or security guards.
They were among 93 people, including 62 Cambodians and 31 foreigners, who tested positive for drug use after the raid on Saturday. Police have identified the 17 as drug users and distributors.
Court spokesman Ly Sophanna yesterday evening said the judge has yet to charge them.
“We are now examining and questioning them,” he said.
At about 2am on Saturday, police raided the club in Daun Penh district and arrested 408 people, including 187 women. Police also seized 62.7 grams of illicit drugs and various drug-related equipment.
General Meas Vyrith, National Authority for Combating Drugs secretary-general, yesterday said that police are still investigating the club, noting it was temporarily closed.
“So far we have discovered few hints and clues,” he said. “We are still investigating the case to identify any accomplices.”
During a ceremony for new municipal councillors at City Hall yesterday, Interior Minister Sar Kheng instructed all relevant authorities to end drug use and trafficking at all karaoke and entertainment clubs across the country.
He said that the authorities are accountable by law to protect the nation and to take care of citizens with high responsibility.
Mr Kheng however noted that although authorities have allowed minors who use drugs but were not distributors to go back to their homes and seek rehabilitation, some of these young people have caused problems for their families.
On another matter, Mr Kheng yesterday banned police officers from being security guards at entertainment clubs, karaokes and casinos.
“Do not assign any police to guard at karaokes,” he said. “Using police as security guards is illegal and even worse those places have drugs.”