KHARTOM (AFP) – Sudan’s protest movement called Tuesday for fresh rallies and rejected the military rulers’ election plan after nearly 40 people were killed in what demonstrators called a “bloody massacre” by security forces.
Protest leaders called on their supporters to take part in “total civil disobedience” to topple the ruling military council following the deadly dispersal Monday of a sit-in outside the army headquarters.
The Transitional Military Council ousted veteran president Omar al-Bashir in April after months of protests against his authoritarian rule and had agreed a three-year transition period to a civilian administration.
But army ruler General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan said the plan had been ditched and an election would take place under “regional and international supervision”.
The Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA), which spearheaded protests against Bashir, rejected the call.
“It’s not the putschist council, nor its militias, nor its leaders who decide the fate of the people, nor how it will transition to a civilian government,” it said.
The SPA said Monday’s action against the sit-in amounted to a “bloody massacre” and urged the global community “to isolate and stop dealing with the so-called military council”.