cellcard cellcard

Police question six people after death of villager

Khy Sovuthy / Khmer Times Share:
Police investigating
Police investigate the villager’s death. Kley Kley

Preah Sihanouk provincial police yesterday questioned six people over the death of a villager in Prey Nop district’s Ream commune last month.

Captain Keo Sokhorn, deputy chief of district police, said the body of Chheng Sophorn was discovered in Ream commune on May 30.

Cap Sokhorn said Mr Sophorn’s body was mutilated, prompting police to suspect foul play.

“The victim had a mental illness and when he would drink, he would become aggressive,” he said.

Cap Sokhorn said that six people were questioned by the provincial police yesterday over Mr Sophorn’s death.

“They were temporarily detained while they were questioned,” Cap Sokhorn said. “Provincial police are investigating this case and we do not yet know if this is a murder case or not.”

Major General Chuon Narin, chief of provincial police, yesterday said the villagers gave different accounts of what happened to Mr Sophorn.

Maj Gen Narin said one villager suspected that Mr Sophorn died after getting involved in a traffic accident, while another said Mr Sophorn died after hugging a utility pole.

He noted that the chief of commune police was also questioned over the death of Mr Sophorn because one of the six said the chief was called when the victim’s body was discovered and did not call an ambulance.

Maj Gen Narin said that according to one of the six, the chief instead called on village security personnel to handle the situation.

“A commune police chief can be wrong because he did not report to the district police chief, nor bring the victim to hospital,” he said. “We called the chief because he was careless.”

Maj Gen Narin said that no one was arrested.

“We invited them for questioning. We did not arrest them because we don’t know exactly if they were involved in this case,” he said. “It is not yet a murder case, our police officials are still investigating.”

Colonel Hing Chanrith, chief of district police, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Previous Article

New centre for mentally ill to open

Next Article

Land broker tried for cheating Prince Sereyvuth