cellcard cellcard

Four security guards suspected of murder

Buth Reaksmey Kongkea / Khmer Times Share:
The four security guards arrested over the man’s murder. Khmer Top News

Dangkor district police yesterday arrested four security guards suspected of murdering a 34-year-old man.

The murder took place at about 6.30pm on Tuesday at a Borey Peng Huot Apartment construction site in Choeung Ek commune in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district.

Captain Choun Chantha, a district penal police officer, identified the four suspects as Chhith Samnang, 34, Chan Em, 32, Yuk Samkol, 33, and Pho Pheakdey, 35. Cap Chantha said they were security guards working with Borey Peng Huot Apartment.

The victim was identified as San Vannak, 34, who lived in the same commune where the murder occurred.

Cap Chantha said on the day of the murder, the victim entered Borey Peng Huot Apartment’s construction site without authorisation.

He said that while victim was walking around a prohibited area, four security guards on duty tried to stop him and told him to leave the construction site. However, the victim did not listen to them.

Cap Chantha said the four security guards caught him in order to escort him off the construction site. However, the victim took off his belt and attempted to fight the guards.

“When the guards apprehended him, Mr Vannak struggled to free himself from the guards,” Cap Chantha said. “The four security guards jointly held him down by his hands and knees while pressing on his throat until the victim was out of breath and died on the spot.”

The victim’s family holds a funeral. Khmer Top News

He noted that after killing the victim, the four suspects carried the body outside of the construction site before returning to their posts.

Cap Chantha said the four suspects were later arrested by district police at about 7am on Wednesday in accordance with a complaint submitted the victim’s family.

Colonel Chim Sitha, chief of Dangkor district police, confirmed yesterday that they are accused by police of manslaughter and face one to three years each in jail if convicted.

Col Sitha added that the four suspects will be sent to municipal court for questioning today.

Previous Article

Pheng Vannak questioned over Facebook post

Next Article

Phnom Penh schools encouraged to be smoke-free