Chinese gang’s threat an old clip: Police

Khy Sovuthy / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
National Police chief General Neth Savoeun. KT/Chor Sokunthea

A video clip showing a gang of Chinese men threatening to cause insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province is an old one, the National Police said on Tuesday.

National Police chief General Neth Savoeun said that the group is also not based in Cambodia.

He was referring to the clip, which went viral recently, showing a man in a white t-shirt with a group of tattooed individuals saying they were from China’s Chongqing city and would commit crimes in the province over next three years.

After the clip went viral, the Chinese embassy in Cambodia agreed to cooperate with the authorities to investigate the matter.

“The Chinese embassy in Cambodia is very concerned about this and will coordinate with police officers in Cambodia and China to investigate this issue,” the embassy said in a statement.

The clip was shared thousands of times on Facebook and garnered the attention of the authorities from both sides.

“Investigations showed that the video clip is old and the gang of Chinese men are not in Preah Sihanouk,” Gen Savoeun said. “National police officers and their Chinese counterparts in China are continuing to investigate the case.”

Major General Chuon Narin, provincial police chief, yesterday said that police officers investigated the case and found that it was an old clip and the gang is not in Cambodia.

“It is an old video clip that was aired many months ago,” he said. “Even though it is old the authorities in Cambodia and China are still continuing to investigate and track down the Chinese men in the footage.”

Crimes involving Chinese nationals in Preah Sihanouk have been on the rise recently following increasing investments in the province.

In September, the Interior Ministry created a taskforce to provide additional support to Preah Sihanouk provincial police in order to crack down on crimes following an influx of Chinese nationals.

In October, the taskforce reported that Chinese investment has also brought Chinese criminal organisations to set up networks in the Kingdom.

According to a National Police report last week, Chinese nationals were the top perpetrators of crime and victims of crime amongst foreigners in the Kingdom during the first quarter of this year.

According to the report, 82 criminal cases involving foreign nationals were recorded from January until the end of March. The figure shows an increase of nearly 50 percent when compared to the 55 criminal cases involving foreign nationals during the same period last year.

It said National Police made 341 arrests consisting of 241 Chinese nationals, 49 Vietnamese nationals, 26 Thai nationals, four South Koreans and three Americans.

Share and Like this post

Related Posts

Previous Article

General Manet leads a delegation to Vietnam to boost armies’ ties

Next Article

King Sihamoni praises first Asian civilisation conference