cellcard cellcard

Ole’s United thrashed at Everton

Xinhua/Tim Ireland

Manchester United’s hopes of Champions League football next season suffered another huge blow as Everton romped to a 4-0 win at Goodison Park yesterday.

A sixth defeat in eight games in all competitions for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s men means they remain two points adrift of the top four in sixth.

Everton’s massive win came via goals from Brazilian forward Richarlison and Gylffi Sigurdsson in the first-half. Lucas Digne and Theo Walcott netted further goals in the second half to hand Everton a famous win.

In Saturday’s highlight, Phil Foden fired Manchester City to a vital 1-0 win over Tottenham.

Pep Guardiola’s side exacted a measure of revenge for City’s Champions League quarter-final exit against Tottenham on Wednesday, a result that ended their bid to win an unprecedented quadruple.

“We could have lost the Premier League today – after Wednesday it was really tough. As a footballer, I could not have done what my players have done today,” said Guardiola.

City have won their last 10 league matches to keep the destiny of the title in their own hands because the champions will hold a game in hand on Jurgen Klopp’s men.

“It was very important for the race for the Premier League. We know we cannot drop points. It was tight, Tottenham had more chances than the previous two games,” added Guardiola.

“We have been playing for the Premier League every three days for 10 months, you can feel the pressure.

“The title is still in our hands. We are fighting until the end.”

At Molineux, fourth-bottom Brighton moved three points clear of Cardiff after a gritty stalemate against Wolves.

Chris Hughton’s men, who have a game in hand on Cardiff, needed a man-of-the-match display from Australian goalkeeper Mat Ryan to avoid a fifth successive defeat.

Ayoze Perez’s hat-trick effectively sealed Newcastle’s safety as the Magpies beat struggling Southampton 3-1.

Gerard Deulofeu’s brace lifted Watford to seventh place with a 2-1 victory at relegated Huddersfield.

Deulofeu, the hero of Watford’s FA Cup semi-final win over Wolves, put the Hornets ahead with a deft dink into the top corner in the fifth minute at the John Smith’s Stadium.

The Spanish winger netted again in the 80th minute after Jonas Lossl saved Abdoulaye Doucoure’s effort.

Huddersfield’s stoppage-time reply from Karlan Grant couldn’t stop the Terriers suffering a 14th home defeat this term.

Watford’s rise up the table was aided by Leicester’s 2-2 draw at West Ham, which dropped Brendan Rodgers’ team to eighth place.

Michail Antonio put West Ham ahead, then Jamie Vardy equalised before Lucas Perez restored the hosts’ lead in the 82nd minute.

But, after Perez had a second goal wrongly ruled out for offside, Harvey Barnes rescued Rodgers’ side with an equaliser two minutes into stoppage-time. Relegated Fulham finally earned their first Premier League away win this season with a 1-0 success at Bournemouth.

Previous Article

Boston Celtics sweep Pacers out of playoffs

Next Article

Cristiano committed to Juventus