Nearly 60 workers of Olive Apparel in Phnom Penh fainted yesterday, the third time it has happened in its factory in Por Senchey district.
On February 23 and 25 a total of 90 factory workers had fainted and some of them told police it was due to chemical fumes.
In yesterday’s incident, 60 workers were immediately sent to a nearby clinic for treatment.
Centre for Alliance of Labour and Human Rights officials visited them and posted on its Facebook page that it was the third time this month that workers in the factory had fainted.
The post quoted a worker as saying employees found it difficult to breathe and vomited before fainting. The worker said, however, that there was nothing wrong with the factory environment because it used a water fan to reduce indoor temperatures.
“When the workers fainted, the factory sent them to a clinic for immediate treatment,” the Central post said.
Colonel Yim Saran, district police chief, yesterday said that some workers said they fainted because of the smell from chemicals in the factory.
“They were taken to a private clinic nearby the factory,” he said. They are fine now.”
Last week nearly 30 workers from Apple Apparel in the district, which is operated by the owner of Olive Apparel, also fainted and were sent for treatment.
The Labour Ministry recently revealed that more than 2,000 garment workers fainted across the Kingdom last year, a jump of more than 400 when compared to 2017 figures, despite efforts by the government to improve factory conditions.
It said 2,055 workers fainted in 16 factories last year. In 2017, 1,603 garment workers fainted in 22 factories. The fainting incidents were attributed to the health of workers, chemicals used in garment factories, social problems, fear and high factory temperatures, among others.
“The Labor Ministry has issued announcements, directives and created regulations so that garment factory owners improve working conditions,” a ministry statement said. “If they fail to comply, fainting incidents will keep happening.”