About 200 people who were arrested in a drug raid at a popular Phnom Penh nightclub often frequented by young people last week have been made to sign a contract promising to seek rehabilitation.
On Friday, police raided an entertainment centre and shuttered the establishment after operating for about a decade.
During the raid, police arrested a total of 311 people. Police confiscated more than 50 kilograms of drugs, including methamphetamine.
About 70 people have been released from custody after testing negative for drugs.
National Police spokesman Lieutenant General Chhay Kim Khoeun yesterday said 231, mostly young people, were made to sign a contract to ensure that they will seek rehabilitation.
“There were 29 people who were found to be involved in the distribution of drugs,” Lt Gen Kim Khoeun said. “The other 200 or so were made to sign a contract and contact their parents or relatives.”
He noted that police are now investigating the case and are working to identify ringleaders.
“Our police officers are still digging for more details about this case,” he added.
According to a Saturday City Hall statement, the entertainment centre was shuttered and authorities are allowed to investigate the source of the drugs and bring perpetrators to justice.
“The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to close down Rock Entertainment nightclub and allow police and the court to investigate the case,” it said. “This will lead investigators to finding the source of the drugs and bring the offenders to justice.”
The nightclub first opened its doors more than ten years ago and it became popular with young people.
In December, a famous DJ and three acquaintances were arrested at the nightclub and charged with the possession and trafficking of more than one kilogram of crystal meth and ecstasy pills.