The government yesterday condemned a suicide attack in Pulawama district of India-administered Kashmir last week that killed at least 40 security officers.
Foreign Affairs Minister Prak Sokhonn yesterday expressed his condolences in a letter sent to his Indian counterpart Sushma Swaraj.
“I would like to express my deepest condolences to Your Excellency on the loss of many security officers in Pulwama on February 14, 2019,” Mr Sokhonn said in the letter, adding that the government stands with the South Asian country. “Cambodia strongly condemns this terrorist attack and stands in solidarity with India at this moment of profound grief.”
“Cambodia is firmly committed to contributing to the fight against terrorism,” he added.
According to media reports, at least 42 Indian troops were killed after a suicide bomber rammed his explosive-laden car into a bus ferrying them in a convoy.
According to India Today, Pakistani-based terrorist group Jaish-e-Mohammed claimed responsibility for the attack. It added that as of yesterday, 23 men suspected of JeM links have been detained.
The report said that on Friday India accused Pakistan of orchestrating the attack, an allegation denied by Pakistan’s Defence Minister Pervez Khan Khattak over the weekend.
The United Nations in a Friday statement also condemned the attack.
“We express our deepest condolences to the families of those who lost their lives and to the people and the government of India,” the UN said in the statement. “We wish a speedy recovery to those injured and call for those behind the attack to be brought to justice.”