A spokesman for the Supreme Council of Magistracy yesterday rejected reports that Phnom Penh Municipal Court director Taing Sunlay will be transferred to another post.
Local media reports yesterday said Mr Sunlay is being moved out along with his four deputy directors and six other judges.
The media cited a leaked document of the Supreme Council of Magistracy about a Kingdom-wide transfer of directors, deputy directors and judges.
According to the document, dated January 31 and signed by SCM secretary-general Sam Pracheameanith, it is the turn of 12 court directors, four deputies and 25 other judges to be “rotated”.
They include Mr Sunlay and court directors in Kandal, Kampong Cham, Ratanakkiri and Stung Treng provinces.
Mr Pracheameanith yesterday denied the report that SMC has officially transferred Mr Sunlay, but acknowledged Mr Sunlay is due for rotation after serving at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court for four years.
“I wish to inform journalists that the rotation of court directors, deputy directors and judges is an internal affair of the Supreme Council of Magistracy.” he said. “We only informed judges, who have served in their positions for four years, to make a request to serve somewhere else.”
Mr Pracheameanith said so far the SCJ has not decided whether to transfer any judges whose names are on the list to a new place yet.
In February 2015, former Phnom Penh Municipal Court director Ang Mealaktei, was sacked for corruption, including allegedly giving his son a luxury car, releasing a convicted drug trafficker, and providing a multimillion-dollar bribe to bail the parents of tycoon Thong Sarath.
Mr Sunlay, who was the former court deputy director and also a judge, was appointed as court director to replace Mr Mealaktei who was later sentenced to two-years in prison for unlawful exploitation.