Ratanakkiri military police commander sacked amid scandal

Khy Sovuthy / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
Kim Reaksmey lost his position after photos surfaced of him handing out $500,000 to his children. DAP News

The Ratanakkiri military police commander has been sacked and stripped of his rank by the government after footage of his lavish lifestyle surfaced on the internet and was criticised by social media users last week.

On Wednesday, Facebook user Gee Yong posted a video of Kim Reaksmey, now the former provincial military police commander, seemingly handing out $500,000 to his five children during a birthday celebration at his luxurious home.

The footage garnered negative comments and corruption allegations on the social media platform, with many questioning how a provincial military police commander could have such large amounts of money.

. .

Prime Minister Hun Sen then announced that Mr Reaksmey was fired due to the scandal.

“If I do not do this, I should resign from my position,” Mr Hun Sen said.

Mr Hun Sen noted that he made the decision to fire Mr Reaksmey on behalf of National Military Police Commander General Sao Sokha and National Defence Minister General Tea Banh.

“The problem [corruption] could be detrimental to the CPP if we do not solve it, so I request understanding in my painful decision,” Mr Hun Sen said. “I must do this now because the people are in pain over this very bad attitude against the rule of law.”

According to a Royal Decree issued on Saturday, Mr Reaksmey is no longer part of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces.

. .

Gen Sokha yesterday said the decision to sack Mr Reaksmey was made by the government.

“The government has decided already, so I do not want to comment further,” he said.

National Military Police spokesman Brigadier General Eng Hy yesterday made a similar comment.

“Our military police officials respected the government’s order,” Brig Gen Hy said. “The government has the right to appoint someone to a position, and the government has the right to remove someone from a position.”

Additionally, Victory Intelligent Standard Association president Ruos Sarom on Friday filed a complaint against Mr Reaksmey to the Anti-Corruption Unit.

. .

Mr Sarom said that his association observed the footage and other irregularities of Mr Reaksmey during his stint as provincial military police commander.

“The association thinks that Mr Reaksmey is an illegal log smuggler who used his name and power to exploit national resources,” he said in the complaint. “We [suspect] he is the person behind illegal deforestation in the province and had logs shipped to Vietnam for his own personal interests.”

Mr Sarom noted that an official who makes about $500 per month should not be able to disburse $500,000 among his children.

“ACU, please investigate this and take action,” he said.

Mr Reaksmey and ACU chairman Om Yentieng could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Share and Like this post

Related Posts

Previous Article

Malaysian detainees in Cambodia promised $1,500 monthly salary

Next Article

Ministry blasts Sam Rainsy over ‘mutinous’ comments