Tboung Khmum Provincial Court yesterday charged two women who allegedly sold two Cambodian women into marriage with men in China in 2017.
Major Nuth Pov, a police officer with the provincial anti-human trafficking and juvenile protection department, identified the two accused as Vauk Chhayngim, 61, and Thuon Theth, 38, both farmers in Tboung Khmum district’s Tonle Bith commune.
He said that they are charged with unlawful removal for cross-border transfer under Article 11 of the Law on Suppression of Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation.
“They face between seven and 15 years each in prison if convicted,” Maj Pov said, adding both women are now in jail pending trial.
He said Ms Chhayngim and Ms Theth were arrested on Friday in the commune’s Anlong Pong village in accordance with a court warrant issued against them.
Maj Pov added they were arrested in accordance with a lawsuit by two victims, one aged 24 and the other aged 26.
Major Sok Sothea, a district police officer, said that according to victims’ lawsuit on December 25, 2018, the two accused in 2017, through a broker who is still at large, persuaded them to marry men in China.
He said that the broker gave Ms Chhayngim and Ms Theth $3,000 to pay each of the victims.
Maj Sothea noted that the broker also paid for all travel arrangements, including getting passports and visas for the victims.
He said that Ms Chhayngim and Ms Theth later came to the victims’ homes in Anlong Pong village and took them to Phnom Penh from where they flew to China.
Maj Sothea said that when the victims arrived in China, they were picked up by their Chinese husbands and stayed with them in rental houses.
He noted that the victims could not speak Chinese or English.
“After a year, the Chinese husbands sold them into prostitution at a karaoke outlet in China,” Maj Sothea said. “After working for about a year in the karaoke outlet, the victims in November last year managed to flee and sought help from the Cambodian embassy in China.”
He noted that the embassy helped to repatriate them home at the end of last month.
Maj Sothea added that after arriving home, the two victims filed a complaint against the two accused at the provincial anti-human trafficking and juvenile protection department.