Court sentences man to two years for torturing wife

Buth Reaksmey Kongkea / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
The man abused his wife after she asked for a divorce. KT/Buth Reaksmey Kongkea

Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday convicted and sentenced a man to two years in prison for tormenting his wife over a divorce request.

Judge Theam Chanpiseth identified the accused as Chea Nareth, a 35-year-old man with no job who was living in Russey Keo district.

Judge Chanpiseth said Mr Nareth had a prior conviction and a history of run-ins with the law.

“He was previously sentenced to two years in prison in 2016 for theft. The accused did not leave his violent ways behind after he left prison,” Judge Chanpiseth said. “He continued to commit acts of violence by beating, torturing and threatening his wife.”

“Based on his confession during trial and the evidence presented in court, the court finds him guilty,” he added. “Therefore, the court decides to sentence him to two years in prison.”

He said that Mr Nareth was charged by a court prosecutor with intentional acts of violence.

Judge Piseth noted that Mr Nareth was arrested in May at his home after a complaint was filed by his wife.

He added that Mr Nareth was accused of confining his wife and torturing her, causing injuries to both of her legs.

The couple married in 2006 and had two children together, the judge said.

Mr Nareth became addicted to drugs and was sent to a rehabilitation centre four times between 2008 and 2012. He was sent to prison for armed robbery in 2016 and was released early last year.

Following his stint in prison, Mr Nareth continued using drugs and drinking alcohol, which made him volatile around his wife and children.

After all she and her children endured, his wife finally requested for divorce in April.

On May 4 at about 10.30am, Mr Nareth finally reached his boiling point over the divorce request and confined his wife within their home, constantly beating and threatening to slash her throat.

This prompted their daughter to seek police intervention. Police arrived at the home at about 1pm and arrested Mr Nareth.

During his trial on December 18, Mr Nareth admitted to the offence.

“The reason why I was beating her was because she had betrayed me while I was in prison,” he said. “She has having relations with another man she had met on Facebook – they were chatting every day.”

“Then she threatened me with the divorce,” Mr Nareth added.

Share and Like this post

Related Posts

Previous Article

Soldier killed by UXO in Preah Vihar province

Next Article

Duo arrested with meth and liquid ketamine