Lapsed agreement kills plans for $5.1m Jurassic theme park

Sangeetha Amarthalingam / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
An animatronic dinosaur at a theme park in the UK. Reuters

A proposal to develop and manage a theme park with a gross development value (GDV) of $5.1 million in Prey Veng province has fizzled after a memorandum of agreement to set up a joint venture between Cambodia Resort and Entertainment Co (CRE) and Malaysian-listed MQ Technology Bhd (MQTech)’s unit lapsed.

For in depth analysis of Cambodian Business, visit Capital Cambodia
.

“The MoA relating to a proposed JV between Star Acres Sdn Bhd, a wholly owned subsidiary of MQTech, and CRE to develop and manage a theme park in the Kingdom of Cambodia has not been extended as the parties have not been able to move the venture forward,” MQTech said in a filing with the Malaysian stock exchange, Bursa Malaysia, today.

The MoA signed on Dec 12, 2016, was extended by CRE nearly eight times with the last extension ending today.

Malaysia-based The Edge Financial Daily previously wrote that MQTech planned to develop a mixed resort development project made up of a theme park, hotel, casino, and apartments, with a GDV of $51.1 million in Cambodia over six years.

The report also said CRE owned 5.1 hectares of land in Prey Veng’s Bonteay Chakkrei, which included a casino, hotel, and a cockfighting arena.

It added that the renovation of the buildings already in the plot and the construction of the theme park made up Phase 1 of the development, while Phase 2 would have involved the construction of two blocks of serviced apartments.

CRE would have owned 30 percent of the project, with the remaining 70 percent belonging to MQTech.

Share and Like this post

Related Posts

Previous Article

S. Korean president vows to continue economic reform drive

Next Article

Following GI award, demand for Koh Trong pomelo soars