cellcard cellcard

KTV worker tried over sale of meth to undercover cop

Buth Reaksmey Kongkea / Khmer Times Share:

Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday tried a woman who worked at a KTV club for allegedly selling nearly 200 grams of crystal meth for $3,000 to an undercover police officer in April.

Deputy prosecutor Soeu Vanny identified the accused as Kheang Sina, 26, living in Por Senchey district’s Kakab II commune.

She said that Ms Sina was arrested on April 3 and was charged with drug trafficking. The accused faces at least five years in prison if convicted.

Ms Vanny said that at about 8pm on April 2, the undercover officer telephoned an unidentified woman, who was a drug dealer, to buy 200 grams of crystal meth.

She said that the officer agreed to buy the drugs for $3,000, after which police in the ministry’s anti-drug trafficking department prepared a sting operation to arrest the woman.

Ms Vanny said the undercover officer then telephoned the woman to deliver the drugs at 1.30am on April 3 in a garden in front of Phnom Penh International Airport in Kakab II commune.

She said that when the accused sold the drugs to the undercover officer she was immediately arrested by anti-drug trafficking police from the ministry.

“She was arrested red-handed after she sold the drugs to the undercover officer,” Ms Vanny said. “After her arrest, police seized a package of crystal meth weighing 195.55 grams from her and confiscated the $3,000.”

During yesterday’s trial, Ms Sina denied the allegations, but confessed that she was a drug user.

She said that the drugs seized from her belonged to an unidentified woman who hired her to deliver them.

Ms Sina said that the woman, who is at large, offered to give her a small package of crystal meth worth $10 if she delivered the drugs to a client in a garden in front of the airport.

She added that she was arrested by police after she gave the package of drugs to the unidentified buyer.

“I would like to confess that I am a drug user but not a drug trafficker or the owner of the seized drugs,” she told the court. “The drugs seized from me belonged to an unidentified woman who promised to give me a small package of crystal meth for smoking after I did the job.”

“But when I was arrested by police, she could not be contacted,” she added.

A verdict is due December 28.

Previous Article

Three convicted of trafficking meth

Next Article

Group nabbed over kidnapping and extortion