ana-air canadia-bank Silk-air nissan acleda cab-bank

Ex-soldier jailed 12 years over shooting

Buth Reaksmey Kongkea / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
The accused leaves court. KT/Buth Reaksmey Kongkea

Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday sentenced a former soldier to 12 years in prison and fined him about $250 for shooting and injuring a man and a woman while drunk in Sen Sok district in February.

Judge Ros Piseth identified him as Bun Ten, 32, an ex-major from the Military Region 5 in Battambang province.

He said that Mr Teng was charged with attempted murder and also unauthorised use of weapon over the shooting of Kong Ravin, 30, a drinks vendor, and his girlfriend Sing Sreyleak, 25, in front of a nightclub in Phnom Penh Thmey commune.

Judge Piseth noted that Mr Teng was arrested by military police on March 3.

“The court has decided to convict him to 12 years in prison,” he said. “The court also fines him one million riel to put in the state’s budget.”

Deputy Prosecutor Soeu Vanny said that at about 12.30am on February 26, Mr Teng was drunk and got into an argument with Mr Ravin and Ms Sreyleak in front of the nightclub.

She said that Mr Teng was holding a pistol and both victims tried to grab it from him. Ms Vanny said that Mr Teng then fired five shots at them, causing injuries.

“During the argument, he was angry with the victims for badly cursing him and attempting to grab his gun and also beat him,” she said. “He then fired five shots, seriously injuring Mr Ravin in the stomach and injuring Ms Sreyleak on the legs.”

“After shooting and wounding the two victims, Mr Teng fled the scene in his Range Rover,” Ms Vanny added.

She noted that after he fled, local police came to investigate the shooting and sent both victims for treatment at the Preah Kossamak Hospital.

She noted that when military police arrested Mr Teng after the victims identified him, they seized an unlicensed pistol and five bullets from him.

Mr Teng yesterday said the judgement was too harsh and he would ask the Appeal Court to lower his sentence.

“I do not agree with my sentence because it is very heavy,” he said outside the court. “I will appeal to the higher court to get it reduced.”

Mr Teng said that on the night of the violence, he did not fire at the two victims as accused.

“I did not shoot them,” he said. “On the night of violence they tried to grab me and seize my gun which went off during the struggle and injured them.”

Related Posts

Previous Article

Do more to promote children’s rights: Ministry

Next Article

Four charged with trafficking meth in Sihanoukville