Kratie provincial authorities said that 98 families who protested in Phnom Penh do not qualify to receive Social Land Concessions being grated as part of land dispute resolutions.
Last month, representatives of 1,636 families locked in a land dispute with Memot Rubber Plantation descended upon Phnom Penh demanding a resolution.
Kratie authorities said that 98 families have already received land in the province’s Snoul district, but joined in the protest regardless.
Provincial Governor Va Thorn said the decision to bar the 98 families from getting more land was made last month during a meeting with the Land Management Ministry.
“According to the examining and measurement process, there are already 98 families that received more than two-hectares each,” Mr Thorn said. “Because of this, the Provincial Hall does not need to provide them with Social Land Concessions again.”
Mr Thorn said the rest of the families will receive Social Land Concessions because they are poor, homeless and in need of farmland.
On Wednesday, provincial authorities held a meeting with villagers who are qualified to receive Social Land Concessions.
“Officials met with the protestors locked in the land dispute and they agreed to go home to register their identities,” Mr Thorn said.
Full story in Friday’s paper