A fire ripped through the 2ND Club in Daun Penh district’s Chaktomuk commune yesterday, levelling the building and causing about $1 million in damages.
Major General Neth Vantha, director of the fire department with the Interior Ministry, said the fire began in the morning and was caused by an electrical fault.
“Our primary assessment is that it was an electrical fault because we questioned the club’s manager,” he said.
Maj Gen Vantha said the fire department used more than 30 fire trucks and an excavator to demolish the club’s walls in order to access the blaze inside.
“It took about three hours to bring it under control,” he said. “It was a hard fight and it was difficult to find access.”
“However, no one died and no one was injured in the fire,” he added. “But the fire destroyed all of the building and we can say it caused about $1 million in damages, due to the fact that there was a lot of expensive equipment inside that was lost.”
Oun, an eyewitness, said she was travelling by the club at about 5am when she spotted the fire.
“I was shocked to see all the smoke and flames and no fire trucks yet,” she said.
Prom Yorn, chief of the Phnom Penh Fire Department, said business owners need to start better-equipping their buildings with anti-fire measures.
“When they have those, it will prevent fires from spreading,” he said. “It will reduce overall damages.”
“We had to use an excavator to break the building in order for our firefighters to gain better access to put out the blaze,” he noted.
The owner of the club could not be reached for comment yesterday.
There were more than 300 fires in the first half of this year, an increase in the number of cases recorded during the same period last year.
There were 351 fires in the first six months of this year compared to 309 cases during the first half of last year. Fifteen people died, 32 were hurt and 316 houses were damaged.
More than 40 percent of the fires were caused by short circuits.