Tycoon Ho Chamroeun, a former Defence Ministry lieutenant general, has been charged with cheating two Chinese investors out of more than $80 million for the construction of an international-standard hospital in Kandal province.
Mr Chamroeun was already facing charges of fraud and making a death threat.
Phnom Penh Municipal Court clerk Sok Sopheak said that in the latest case the accused was charged with fraud. He was sued by the Chinese investors, who had been his business partners.
Mr Sopheak noted that the latest lawsuit was submitted to the court on June 5.
Mr Chamroeun had invested in the construction of an international-standard hospital worth more than $200 million with the plaintiff in Takhmao city.
After the agreement on the project in 2017, the plaintiffs sent more than $80 million to Mr Chamroeun to spend on the project.
“But after his arrest, the project did not go ahead. And when the plaintiffs claimed their money back from the accused, he did not pay it,” Mr Sopheak said. “To claim for their losses, the plaintiffs later filed a lawsuit against him to the court for intervention.”
Mr Chamroeun was arrested on May 17 over the earlier charges, after which he was stripped of his military position and rank by the King.
He was arrested after he fired six bullets into the air while threatening to kill his wife and mother-in-law over a family argument. No one was injured.
The shooting spree took place on April 21 at the accused’s villa in Prey Sar commune in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district.
Mr Chamroeun remains detained at Prey Sar prison pending his trial.