cellcard cellcard cellcard

Clinical Samoeun brings Naga back to earth

Ismail Vorajee / Khmer Times Share:
Visakha’s Rous Samoeun scored twice in Saturday’s win. KT/Yeun Punlue

Visakha sensationally ended NagaWorld’s unbeaten streak in the Metfone C-League with an emphatic victory in the weekend’s matchweek eight highlight at Army Stadium.

With the limelight over the last week focused on the league newcomers high-profile acquisition of Cambodian national team stars Keo Sokpheng and Sok Sovan, it was former Preah Khan Reach Svay Rieng defender Rous Samoeun who took the plaudits in Saturday’s game by scoring a fine brace in their 3-0 victory.

Cambodian national team regular Samoeun opened the scoring in the 21st minute with a thunderous effort from outside the box. Naga keeper had no chance as Samoeun’s powerful low shot from outside the box nestled neatly into the far corner of the goal.

His second came early in the second period, although it was a moment of madness from Naga keeper Samrith Seiha which left Samoeun with the perfect opportunity to double his tally. With confusion reigning in the box, Seiha’s weak pass was intercepted by the industrious Samoeun who looped the ball from outside the box and into the back of the net.

Visakha’s third came from the boot of youngster San Kimheng who continued his purple patch to score his fourth consecutive league match in the 83rd minute of the match.

Speaking after their first league loss of the season, Naga coach Meas Channa conceded Visakha were better on the day and that his players lacked concentration.

“The first reason is related to preparation and planning for the match. Our planning was not up to standard for today,” said coach Channa. “ Our intensity just wasn’t there and our play came in bursts. The third [reason] was protecting ourselves from mistakes, from our goalkeeper to defenders.”

Channa added he hoped to rejuvenate the players and bounce back from the heavy defeat.

Also on Saturday, Boeung Ket leapfrogged Naga to take top spot in the standings courtesy of a thrashing of Angkor Tiger at Army Stadium.

Despite the recent departure of Cambodian forward Khuon Laboravy for Surat Thani FC of Thailand, the defending champions showed that they still had plenty of lethal forwards at their disposal.

A goal each from African pair Esoh Paul Omogba and Samuel Gbenga Ajayi was capped by a late brace from Brazilian forward Maycon Calijuri to record a comfortable 4-0 win. In Saturday’s final game, Asia Euro United and National Police Commissary played out a 1-1 draw at AEU Sport Park. Privat Mbarga scored for the hosts, Noun Borey was on target for Police.

Previous Article

Crown win as tempers flare in Svay Rieng

Next Article

National Games enters its final day