After attending a forum by the provincial Department of Commerce 53 children and 22 women were afflicted with food poisoning and required medical treatment. The forum was held on the evening of May 25 in Chong Krong commune, Chet Borei district, Kratie province.
Hang Channy, Chet Borei’s district governor, stated that the victims are recovering well and some have left the hospital to return home.
The provincial health department suspects that the cause of the food poisoning was caused by the snacks at the forum (bread topped with butter, sausage, and egg), especially since Mr Channy was told by villagers that some of the snacks seemed rancid. They were bought from a newly-opened shop in Kratie.
The health department has taken samples for investigation into which ingredients are to blame.
The governor explained why so many children became ill: “90 breads were bought in Kratie. Some of the villagers did not eat them but took them home. They gave them to their children and that caused their children to also become sick.” Some villagers had no problems at all after eating the snacks.