One girl died and three others were taken to hospital with food poisoning in separate cases in Kratie and Kampong Cham provinces this week.
In Kratie province’s Sambor district, an 11-year-old girl died on Tuesday two days after she came down with food poisoning.
Bun Chhoeun, Sambor district police chief, said yesterday that the parents of the girl sent her to the provincial hospital when she was unwell and then they transferred her to a hospital in Phnom Penh but she could not be saved.
“We went down to the village to find the reason she died,” he said. “I ordered commune police to investigate the case. Villagers said she was poisoned by a hot dog she bought in the village.”
Mr Chhoeun said he would ask for more information from the girl’s parents.
“We are not sure of the reason she died but we will investigate it,” Mr Chhoeun said. “I want to all people to be careful when eating food.”
The case in Kampong Cham’s Kampong Siem district caused three girls to become sick, but they were sent to the provincial hospital on time to get help.
Pheap Suychhing, four, Oeun Sreylish, five, and Makara Lyza, six, suffered the poisoning on Wednesday.
Kean Chrey commune chief Ear Chanthol said the girls, all related, suffered vomiting and stomach aches, and became weaker and weaker.
“I went down to visit the girls when they were sick and I helped to send them to the provincial hospital,” she said. “I met the doctor at the hospital because I wanted to know about the victims’ conditions and what made them sick.”
Ms Chanthol said that the doctor did not know what poisoned the girls because they ate many kinds of food such as jelly, cake, juice and Khmer noodles due to there being a seven-day funeral in the village.
“They recovered and left the hospital today,” Ms Chanthol said.