Phnom Penh Municipal Court questioned Oknha Hou Chamroeun yesterday following allegations that he opened fire with a gun several times at his home.
The incident allegedly took place on April 21 at his villa in Dangkao district’s Prey Sar commune.
Deputy prosecutor Sieng Sok did not finish questioning Mr Chamroeun yesterday and the tycoon was sent to the Interior Ministry for detention. Mr Chamroeun is due to be sent to the court again this morning for further questioning.
Lieutenant General Sok Khemarin, director of the ministry’s penal department, said yesterday that Mr Chamroeun had been arrested. Ministry police sent him to the court for questioning.
“He was arrested over his involvement in the shooting,” Mr Khemarin said.
According to a royal decree signed by the King, Mr Chamroeun and his wife Kea Sokeang were given the tycoon title on April 12, 2018, about a week before the incident happened.
A police officer in Dangkao district said Mr Chamroeun fired the shots to threaten his wife and his mother-in-law in his house.
After the incident, Dangkao district police officials in conjunction with district military police officials went down to the scene of the incident, but Mr Chamroeun was not at home.
They did not dare go into his villa, even though the tycoon’s father-in-law gave them the authority to enter the villa. Choem Sitha, Dangkao district police chief, declined to comment.
Pol Ratana, deputy director of the Interior Ministry’s penal department, who is in charge of the case, also declined to comment.
Ly Sophanna, spokesman for Phnom Penh Municipal Court, could not be reached for comment.