A fire tore through a row of shops in Phnom Penh’s Tuol Kork district yesterday damaging various properties, a police official said.
Captain Seng Rithy, deputy chief of Tuol Kork district police, said the fire started at about 3.30am on street 219.
He said that the fire ravaged through five buildings, completely destroying various properties in the area.
Police said that the fire engulfed neighbouring houses and was caused by an electrical fault at a car garage.
“The fire was caused by faulty electrical wires in the car garage in Phsar Doeum Kor commune,” Cap Rithy said. “The fire spread and burned other warehouses and houses nearby.”
Cap Rithy said that no one was injured during the incident and that it took 46 fire trucks to douse the fire.
“To put out the fire, our police officers used a total of 46 water trucks and spent about five hours fighting it,” he said.
He said that police estimated the fire consumed more than $1 million in damages.
He added that people should inspect their electrical wiring more often to prevent fires.