An elderly woman died in a fire on Sunday night that also damaged six homes in Battambang province’s Prek Preah Sdech commune.
Kim Bunthoeun, chief of the provincial fire department, said yesterday that the fire began at about 10.30pm on Sunday and was extinguished by 2.30am.
Mr Bunthoeun said Kim Sean, 60, died in the blaze, which was likely sparked by an electrical fault.
Mr Bunthoeun added that five houses were completely destroyed and one house was damaged in the fire.
“The victim was trapped in her house,” he said. “We did not even know there was anyone in there, we just tried to prevent the fire from spreading to other houses.”
“According to residents, the fire was caused by an electricity problem because the house owner where it started was not home,” he added. “Once that house was completely engulfed by fire, it spread to nearby houses because those were wooden houses. We used 12 fire trucks to get the fire under control.”
Chan Sophal, the former Battambang provincial governor, and provincial police chief Ouch Sokhon visited the area yesterday morning and provided food and money to families affected by the blaze.
According to the National Police, in 2017 there were 514 fires throughout the country that killed 22 people and injured 128.