The US Embassy in Cambodia issued a security alert on Wednesday, urging all US citizens in the country to exercise caution after Prime Minister Hun Sen claimed that the terrorist organisation had been planning an attack in Phnom Penh before Khmer New Year.
The US Embassy posted a statement on its Facebook on Wednesday, warning of possible explosive device during Khmer New Year in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap province.
“U.S. government personnel have been advised to exercise caution around Wat Phnom and to be aware of their surroundings in general,” the statement read.
The Embassy also urged its citizens to exercise caution in areas with large crowds, to leave the area immediately if they saw an unattended object, to monitor local media for updates and to be aware of surroundings.
Mr Hun Sen on Monday said that KNLF president Sam Serey, who lives in Denmark, ordered his members in Cambodia to set off an explosion at Wat Phnom on Thursday, two days before Khmer New Year.
A day after the claim, phone conversations purported to be between members of KNLF were leaked.
The premier said the plot was intended to disrupt New Year festivities and he ordered authorities to prevent it.