Phnom Penh Municipal Court today issued an injunction asking the Phnom Penh Post newspaper to pay $260,000 in compensation to its former CEO Chris Dawe who was involved in a labour dispute.
Municipal court spokesman Ly Sophanna confirmed that court officials implemented the verdict of the Court of Appeal.
“Court officers implemented the verdict of the Appeal Court, which was dated February 13, 2018,” he said.
Deputy prosecutor Kham Sophary and officials went to implement the verdict at the Phnom Penh Post office.
The court has given the paper a 15-day deadline to pay the $260,000 to Mr Dawe. If not, property will be confiscated and sold.
The paper has also been under an apparent investigation of the $3.9 million failure to pay in tax bill.
Last month, Catholic news agency UCAN reported that the Phnom Penh Post was facing closure after being hit with a huge tax bill, according to sources close to the paper.
A report by online news outlet AEC News Today said the Post would need a massive cash injection within the next 60 days and quoted computer hacker as saying Post Media Co Ltd was hit with a tax penalty of $3.9 million.
Huy Vannak, president of the Union of Journalist Federations of Cambodia, encouraged the owner of the Post to settle the dispute properly with Mr Dawe so it would not cause any trouble for the Khmer staff working there.
“It is an internal dispute with the owner of the paper, which will really have an impact if the owner does not pay attention to resolve the issue and comply with the labour law,” he said.
“We are concerned about the Khmer staff working there if the paper has a problem,” Mr Vannak added. “So the owner of the paper has to resolve the issue through a spiritual understanding that will benefit other employees not involved in that issue.”
Full story on Friday’s paper