Fighters begin leaving last rebel pocket of E. Ghouta

AFP / No Comments Share:
A Syrian boy is treated in an ambulance following his arrival in Qalaat al-Madiq on April 2, 2018 after being evacuated from the Eastern Ghouta town of Douma. AFP

DAMASCUS (AFP) – Syria’s regime drew closer to taking full control of Eastern Ghouta yesterday as state media reported that fighters began evacuating from the last rebel-held pocket of the former opposition stronghold near Damascus.

A Russian-brokered deal had been reported on Sunday for fighters with Jaish al-Islam, the largest rebel group still in Ghouta, to leave the enclave’s main town of Douma.

But the rebels have not yet confirmed the agreement, amid reports of divisions in the group as hardline fighters refuse to abandon their posts.

. .

The retaking of Eastern Ghouta would mark a major milestone in President Bashar al-Assad’s efforts to regain control of territory seized by rebel factions during Syria’s seven-year civil war.

Mr Assad’s forces have retaken 95 percent of Eastern Ghouta since launching a blistering air and ground assault on the besieged enclave on February 18, killing 1,600 civilians and displacing tens of thousands more.

State media yesterday said Jaish al-Islam fighters and their families had started leaving Douma, in preparation for them heading to a rebel-held town in northern Syria.

“A group of buses carrying a number of Jaish al-Islam terrorists and their families leave Douma in preparation of them being transported to Jarabulus,” state news agency SANA said. State television said six buses had left Douma, the only opposition holdout six weeks after the start of the offensive.

The rebels have been negotiating with Russia, a key ally of Mr Assad, for days on an agreement to evacuate Douma.

. .

Late on Sunday, Russian news agency Interfax quoted General Yuri Yevtushenko saying a “preliminary deal” had been reached to evacuate Jaish al-Islam fighters from Eastern Ghouta.

Jaish al-Islam has previously said it would not leave Douma and the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group reported divisions within its ranks.

In video footage published by Jaish al-Islam online on Sunday, the group’s leader told a group of men in a mosque he would stay.

“We will stay in this town and will not leave. Those who want to leave should leave,” Essam al-Buidani says.

In the past few weeks, Russia-backed evacuation deals have seen more than 46,000 people – fighters and civilians – board buses with scant belongings to be driven to the northwestern province of Idlib, which is largely outside government control.

These include more than 1,000 people – fighters from another faction, Faylaq al-Rahman, and family members – who left Douma late Sunday, according to state media.

Share and Like this post

Related Posts

Previous Article

China, Vietnam call for settlement of maritime disputes

Next Article

Costa Rica elects ex-minister as next president